I love being an influencer and entrepreneur! But I realize that a lot of my experiences differ from others in this space because I’m black. I’ve learned a lot on this journey and felt it was time to share my thoughts and lessons on being a black influencer. Tune in to hear me unpack my experiences on being black in this space. This is not a full representation of all black influencers, but it is my experience, so I encourage you to lean in and digest this episode.
Points Worth Listening To:
- Being black is not one dimensional. (2:08)
- Statistics on the wealth gap (3:33)
- “It’s so difficult…knowing you’re doing the work that your peers are doing and you’re getting paid less.” (4:51)
- Black influencers are not given the same opportunities with campaigns. (7:57)
- “Although I felt uncomfortable, I kept showing up.” (12:41)
- What helped me stand out as an influencer. (12:57)
- How I learned from my non-black counterparts to put up boundaries and demand, respect from these brands. (16:54)
- “Sometimes I’m blown away at where I am in terms of being a black influencer and entrepreneur.” (21:27)
- “You can put yourself out there, you can create content, and still stand up for what you believe in.” (21:58)
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Don’t forget to like, review, and subscribe to the podcast.
- Follow MJ on Instagram @lifebymj
- Follow the podcast on Instagram @alifebyyou
- Join the A Life By You Facebook Community